Ashley and I love visiting those cute paint your own pottery shops and that is what inspired this quick and easy DIY. I stumbled on these cute modern ceramic faceted planters in the fun new Target craft section and knew they were going to be perfect for this DIY. Have you seen their Hand Made Modern line? SUCH cute stuff! These planters are totally cute on their own, and I considered buying a couple of them and just leaving them white, but then I was hanging a new painting in my living room and it encouraged me to make them a little more colorful. Here’s what you’ll need for this project:
Acrylic Paint in 3 colors (I used navy, sea foam green and a bubblegum pink)
Gold Metallic Acrylic Paint (this is the one I use all the time and I LOVE it)
4 paint brushes
Ceramic planter (Target craft section)
The abstract nature of the painting in the living room inspired me to be messy with this project. I wasn’t worried about straight lines, overlapping colors, or coloring outside the lines. It was actually kind of freeing. The one thing I did have to have was a little patience, because since the colors did overlap I had to let each color dry before adding the next one.
Once I had painted the three main colors, I used the gold metallic paint to highlight the facets in the piece. It is kind of hard to tell in these images, but it is a very shimmery paint…almost like gold leaf and it looks really cool on the edges of the facets. It adds a great dimension to the planter.
You cannot mess this up! Just play and have fun painting your own pottery. And the best part is you don’t have to wait a week for it to be fired! 😉 And, a sneak peek of the new living room painting that inspired the colors and feel…
I’ll share more of that when I reveal the new living room! 😉
Looking for more fun DIY projects? Check out some of our most popular posts:
DIY Wired Ribbon Pennant Banner
I would love to have you join me on Instagram and Pinterest where I share lots of fun ideas about decorating, design, entertaining, DIY, travel and food.
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!
- Free Valentine Cards
- O Christmas Tree : Our Christmas Living Room Decor
- Our Halloween Home Decor
- Free Halloween Tag Printable "Hey Boo"
- 20 Beautiful Thanksgiving Table Settings : Simple Thanksgiving Table Decorations
- Mint Green Baby Shower and Party Ideas
- School Party Ideas End of Year Breakfast Party (Back to School too!)
- Birthday Wishes Tags : Free Printable Birthday Tags
- DIY Valentines : Eye Like You Valentine
- DIY Gift Card Holder : Cute Santa Gift Card Bag Idea
- DIY Coasters : Perfect for Game Night and Gifts
- DIY Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids- How to make Glittered Turkeys with Fall Leaves
- DIY Felted Garland Tutorial
- DIY Closet Organization and Outfit Look Book
- German Glass Glitter DIY Monogram Ornaments
- DIY Washi Tape Feathers a Cute Fall Craft
4 thoughts on “Paint Your Own Pottery : DIY Painted Ceramic Planter”
This is such a cute idea! It seems like this would be a lot of fun and a great activity to do with friends. Your piece looks wonderful; the color scheme you went with is awesome. Great post! Thanks so much for sharing!
Thank you so much Morgan! It was super fun to paint! 🙂 Have a wonderful day!
Your DIY pottery turned out looking very professional. The metallic paint really sets off the bright colors.
Thanks so much Christina! It was a fun project!