Ashley and I love visiting those cute paint your own pottery shops and that is what inspired this quick and easy DIY. I stumbled on these cute modern ceramic faceted planters in the fun new Target craft section and knew they were going to be perfect for this DIY. Have you seen their Hand Made Modern line? SUCH cute stuff! These planters are totally cute on their own, and I considered buying a couple of them and just leaving them white, but then I was hanging a new painting in my living room and it encouraged me to make them a little more colorful. Here’s what you’ll need for this project:
Acrylic Paint in 3 colors (I used navy, sea foam green and a bubblegum pink)
Gold Metallic Acrylic Paint (this is the one I use all the time and I LOVE it)
4 paint brushes
The abstract nature of the painting in the living room inspired me to be messy with this project. I wasn’t worried about straight lines, overlapping colors, or coloring outside the lines. It was actually kind of freeing. The one thing I did have to have was a little patience, because since the colors did overlap I had to let each color dry before adding the next one.
Once I had painted the three main colors, I used the gold metallic paint to highlight the facets in the piece. It is kind of hard to tell in these images, but it is a very shimmery paint…almost like gold leaf and it looks really cool on the edges of the facets. It adds a great dimension to the planter.
You cannot mess this up! Just play and have fun painting your own pottery. And the best part is you don’t have to wait a week for it to be fired! 😉 And, a sneak peek of the new living room painting that inspired the colors and feel…
I’ll share more of that when I reveal the new living room! 😉
Looking for more fun DIY projects? Check out some of our most popular posts:
This post may include affiliate links. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!
- O Christmas Tree : Our Christmas Living Room Decor
- Our Halloween Home Decor
- Free Halloween Tag Printable "Hey Boo"
- Everything You Need to Know About How to Hang Art the Right Way
- Designer's Favorite Blue Paint Colors for Your Home
- Galentine's Day Ideas : Galentine, Will You Accept This Rose? Free Printable
- DIY Doormat : Welcome Mat Ideas
- Cute and Cheerful Christmas Bedroom Decorating Ideas
- Cute DIY Halloween Movie Night Party Ideas
- Birthday Wishes Tags : Free Printable Birthday Tags
- Cute ideas for a DIY Valentine Carnival Party
- Make these Easy Red Valentine Heart Pancakes
- Birthday Party Ideas : The Patisserie Party with Society Sweets
- DIY: How to Make a Felt Circle Garland
- DIY Washi Tape Feathers a Cute Fall Craft
- Interior Design: Teen Girl Bedroom Make Over