Trunk or Treat is upon us! This fun night is one of my kid’s favorites. Probably because it involves about 1000 kids in costume running from car to car over and over collecting more candy than they can carry. Each year there’s a little contest for who decorates their trunk the cutest or spookiest. I love to create something fun and cute that makes the kids excited to stop by our car. This year I’m whipping up a few easy DIY Halloween decorations like this fun mummy candy bowl and I’ll show you how in just a few easy steps.
Here’s what you’ll need:
A Large Clear Plastic Bowl (I found mine at Walmart for just a few dollars)
1 Large Bag of Hershey’s Candy– the large candy bags like the Goodies Galore or Trunk or Treat Variety Bag, are perfect for an occasion like Trunk or Treat where you know there will be a ton of kids. The bags are HUGE!
1 yard of white or cream fabric
A glue gun
2 large buttons (orange or black)
2 google eyes
Have you ever torn fabric before? Did you know that it will tear in a straight line? It is super easy and will give you a great frayed edge for the mummy look we want to achieve. First, fold your yard of fabric in half. We are going to tear 1.5″ strips, so starting at the edge of the fabric, make about a half inch cut 1.5″ in from the edge of the fabric.
Next, tear the fabric from the cut you have made… it will look like this:
Continue tearing strips of fabric in this same manner until your yard of fabric is a pile of long fabric strips. Then, cut each long strip into shorter (about 4-5 inch) strips. None of these measurements have to be exact…I am just telling you how I made mine, but the great thing about this project is that you can’t make a mistake! 🙂
After you have cut the smaller strips, begin gluing your fabric strips onto your bowl using your hot glue gun, layering ends over each other until you cover the whole bowl.
I tied knots in a few of my strips before I glued them on, just to add a little more dimension. Now for the fun part. If you want to give your bowl a little more life, you can add eyes to it. I glued my google eyes onto buttons for a few reasons…to make the eyes bigger so they stand out more, to make it appear a little more 3-d, and to add a bit of color. Once you glue the eyes onto buttons, you can then glue them onto your bowl, tucking them just under a bit of the fabric to make them look like they are peering out. 🙂
Finally, the most important step is to fill that giant bowl with the Hershey’s chocolate goodness! These Trunk or Treat Variety bags are so big you will have candy spilling over and might even be able to sneak a Reese’s Peanut Butter cup for yourself…not that I did that or anything. 😉
I picked my giant bags of candy up at Walmart in their Halloween aisle…
Trick or Treaters are sure to love reaching into this cute bowl to pick out their favorite Hershey’s treat. Be sure to check out more Hershey’s Halloween Candy at Walmart. What is your favorite to sneak out of your kiddos trick or treat bags? I’m definitey a Reeses girl!
You can join me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more fun ideas about food, design, travel and entertaining. Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter (at the bottom of the post) so you don’t miss a thing!
- My Guide to the Best Restaurants in Orange County
- Small Living Room Decorating Ideas
- Modern Master Bedroom Ideas : Our Summer Home Tour
- DIY Front Yard Landscaping Ideas on a Budget
- Awesome Boy Bedroom Ideas
- Kids Bathroom Design Ideas: Kid's Bathroom Makeover Reveal
- Cute Room Ideas for a Teenage Girl: Teen Bedroom Before and After
- Wall Art for Teenage Girl Bedrooms
- Modern Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Ideas : My Favorite Brass Hardware
- Beautiful Modern Coastal Design Ideas for Living Rooms
- Modern Coastal Decor Living Room Decorating Ideas
- The Best DIY Butter Slime Recipe Made With Clay (No Borax)
- Master Bathroom Remodel Ideas : Master Bathroom Before and After
- The Best Easter Basket Ideas for a teenage girl (and tweens)
- Tween Girl Bedroom Ideas : Preppy Teen Girl Bedroom in Pink, Navy and Green
- Mermaid Party Ideas : Mermaid Pool Party