Victoria, BC: This beautiful, sleepy island is home to a true Canadian landmark, The Fairmont Empress Hotel. I visited here when I was a child, and had memories of walking into the grand building and eating at its fancy restaurant. When we planned a tour of British Colombia for a family vacation, I couldn’t imagine staying anywhere else. For a hotel that is so stately and famous, room rates were surprisingly reasonable. For under $300 a night, we were able to book a large suite with two rooms and two bathrooms…plenty of room for our family of four. (affiliate links are included in this post)
At the time of our stay rooms were nicely furnished…a bit tired looking, but given the historical feel of the hotel that didn’t bother me. Located across the street from the harbor and down the road from the gorgeous Parliament building, it is SO conveniently located you will not need your car to get around most of town.
When we stayed over Easter weekend, the hotel offered all kinds of fun activities for the kids. The highlight was definitely an Easter Bunny hunt. After we checked in, a special delivery was made to our room with scavenger hunt instructions for the kids. They hunted around the hotel, in the shops, the lobby, the restaurants, using clues to find hidden stuffed bunnies. Once they located all of the bunnies they returned their filled out forms to the front desk and were given a large solid chocolate bunny in return. Most higher end hotels that we have stayed in have special touches like these for the kids, so when traveling with the kiddos, make sure to ask the front desk at check-in about any special happenings.
A few things to check out at the Fairmont Empress Hotel:
Don’t forget your swimsuit! While the weather isn’t always great for swimming in Victoria, the indoor pool at The Fairmont Empress Hotel makes anytime a great time to swim. My kids loved it and it was a nice break for them from sightseeing.
If you choose to stay at the Empress hotel on your visit to Victoria, be sure to sign up for the Fairmont President’s club. This loyalty club membership is totally free and includes great amenities for your stay, like free Wifi.
If you are traveling with your kids, be sure to check out the special Prince and Princess afternoon tea. It is such a fun experience for the kids. The adults love it too, of course! 🙂
You can check out our entire Travel Gallery to see all of our posts and helpful info.
- The Complete London Travel Guide : All My Favorite London Travel Tips, Hotels, Restaurants & More
- The Seabird Resort | Beachfront Hotel in Oceanside, CA
- Travel Guide: The Silos from Fixer Upper and Magnolia Market
- The Ultimate Guide to Dallas Texas : Where to Stay, Eat & Things to Do
- My Guide to the Best Restaurants in Orange County
- 1 Hotel West Hollywood Review : A Weekend Getaway
- La Petite Venise : Visit Colmar Alsace France
- Biltmore Hotel Arizona : Phoenix Family Vacation
- Visit Borough Market : Amazing Food Market by London Bridge
- The Sound of Music : Which Tour is the best in Salzburg? An Inside look at the Panorama Sound of Music Tours
- Amsterdam : Tour a Traditional Canal House : Our Stay on the Keizersgracht Canal
- Interesting Things to See in London: Notting Hill
- Things to Do in London: Afternoon Tea at the Orangery at Kensington Palace
- Take a Spin on the London Eye: Things to do in London
- Things to See in London : One Day Walking Tour
- Train Rides through Europe How it Works and What to Expect