On our trip to the Pacific Northwest earlier this year, we spent a few days in Vancouver Canada. What a beautiful city! It reminded me of a nice mix of San Francisco and New York. Our first night in town we were looking for a place to eat dinner. We have a strict rule when we travel: we don’t eat anywhere that we can eat when we’re at home. Sometimes we use Trip Advisor or Yelp to help us find a fun, new place, but on this particular evening we were feeling adventurous so we walked the streets of Gastown and stumbled upon The Flying Pig.
It had all the things I love (old building, cool reclaimed wood, fun chandeliers) so we decided to give it a try. When we sat down and they gave us menus on clipboards and water in old milk bottles, I knew I was in love.
The idea behind the name The Flying Pig represents their desire for you to see the impossible happen every time you visit. Their menu offers a range of seasonally inspired dishes with fresh, local ingredients. John opted for the Wild Seafood Pappardelle, the kids shared the Roasted Half Chicken, and I opted to make up my own meal out of the Lobster and Prawn Risotto and Crispy Brussel Sprouts. I’m SO glad I did. These were quite possibly the best brussel sprouts I have ever had.
The atmosphere itself is casual, a bit trendy, and the service was very warm and inviting. When the waitress saw me taking pictures of everything we got to chatting about the blog, and visiting from out of town. Before long, we had the manager, the waitress and another staffer over chatting and offering up ideas and suggestions for fun places to visit, what areas of the city to steer clear of with the kids, and giving us a more detailed idea of local specialties…especially what was on the dessert menu. The Maple Sugar Pie was recommended and it did not disappoint. Not only did it taste amazing, but it was beautifully presented as well.
I you happen to find yourself in Vancouver and are looking for a delicious dinner fly on over to the Flying Pig. And let them know Tammy sent you. 😉 I hope you enjoy your experience as much as we did.
- My Guide to the Best Restaurants in Orange County
- Small Living Room Decorating Ideas
- Modern Master Bedroom Ideas : Our Summer Home Tour
- DIY Front Yard Landscaping Ideas on a Budget
- Awesome Boy Bedroom Ideas
- Kids Bathroom Design Ideas: Kid's Bathroom Makeover Reveal
- Cute Room Ideas for a Teenage Girl: Teen Bedroom Before and After
- Wall Art for Teenage Girl Bedrooms
- Modern Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Ideas : My Favorite Brass Hardware
- Beautiful Modern Coastal Design Ideas for Living Rooms
- Modern Coastal Decor Living Room Decorating Ideas
- The Best DIY Butter Slime Recipe Made With Clay (No Borax)
- Master Bathroom Remodel Ideas : Master Bathroom Before and After
- The Best Easter Basket Ideas for a teenage girl (and tweens)
- Tween Girl Bedroom Ideas : Preppy Teen Girl Bedroom in Pink, Navy and Green
- Mermaid Party Ideas : Mermaid Pool Party