On our trip to the Pacific Northwest earlier this year, we spent a few days in Vancouver Canada. What a beautiful city! It reminded me of a nice mix of San Francisco and New York. Our first night in town we were looking for a place to eat dinner. We have a strict rule when we travel: we don’t eat anywhere that we can eat when we’re at home. Sometimes we use Trip Advisor or Yelp to help us find a fun, new place, but on this particular evening we were feeling adventurous so we walked the streets of Gastown and stumbled upon The Flying Pig.
It had all the things I love (old building, cool reclaimed wood, fun chandeliers) so we decided to give it a try. When we sat down and they gave us menus on clipboards and water in old milk bottles, I knew I was in love.
The idea behind the name The Flying Pig represents their desire for you to see the impossible happen every time you visit. Their menu offers a range of seasonally inspired dishes with fresh, local ingredients. John opted for the Wild Seafood Pappardelle, the kids shared the Roasted Half Chicken, and I opted to make up my own meal out of the Lobster and Prawn Risotto and Crispy Brussel Sprouts. I’m SO glad I did. These were quite possibly the best brussel sprouts I have ever had.
The atmosphere itself is casual, a bit trendy, and the service was very warm and inviting. When the waitress saw me taking pictures of everything we got to chatting about the blog, and visiting from out of town. Before long, we had the manager, the waitress and another staffer over chatting and offering up ideas and suggestions for fun places to visit, what areas of the city to steer clear of with the kids, and giving us a more detailed idea of local specialties…especially what was on the dessert menu. The Maple Sugar Pie was recommended and it did not disappoint. Not only did it taste amazing, but it was beautifully presented as well.
I you happen to find yourself in Vancouver and are looking for a delicious dinner fly on over to the Flying Pig. And let them know Tammy sent you. 😉 I hope you enjoy your experience as much as we did.
- The BEST Christmas Lights in London
- The Complete London Travel Guide : All My Favorite London Travel Tips, Hotels, Restaurants & More
- The Seabird Resort | Beachfront Hotel in Oceanside, CA
- Travel Guide: The Silos from Fixer Upper and Magnolia Market
- 1 Hotel West Hollywood Review : A Weekend Getaway
- Organizing Tips for Traveling with Kids
- La Petite Venise : Visit Colmar Alsace France
- Cinque Terre Villages : Touring Italy
- Hotels in London with Family Rooms : The Kensington Hotel London
- Disney Gifts for Mom : Awesome Gifts for Disney Lovers
- How to Get to Zermatt : Our Matterhorn Adventure
- Visit Borough Market : Amazing Food Market by London Bridge
- New York City at Christmas : Things to Do
- The Best View in Paris: The Arc De Triomphe
- How to Stay Connected While Traveling in Europe
- Football Party Food: Great Guacamole Recipe