It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Time to break out all the sweets and treats and comfort foods! Woohoo! We are having a VERY small family dinner this year appropriate for 2020. Just the 3 of us and my brother’s cute family that live in our area. As much as I will miss out on many of the large family gathering traditions, I’m kind of excited to make a yummy meal and try some new things. One thing that will definitely be on the menu is one of our favorite Thanksgiving recipes, our favorite pumpkin Thanksgiving dessert…affectionately known in our house as pumpkin stuff. 😉 This recipe is from a friend that introduced us to this amazing delicacy 10 or so years ago. It is SO easy, and SO yummy. We often make it in place of pumpkin pie.
I’m admittedly not a big fan of pie crust…so that might be part of the reason I prefer this delicious Thanksgiving dessert in lieu of pumpkin pie. The texture and consistency of it are practically identical to a pie, but the taste is just a bit different because of the addition of a cake mix instead of a crust.
The best part about this whole Thanksgiving dessert, well actually two best parts (aside from it being so amazing)…is that you can make it ahead of the big day to free up oven space and it literally takes about 5 minutes to whip up. If that doesn’t make you want to make this Thanksgiving recipe, then I don’t know what will!
You only need a few pantry staples to whip up this yummy treat. A boxed cake mix, canned pumpkin (NOT Pumpkin Pie mix…it won’t set the same way) and a few other things.
The dry cake mix and butter on top of this pumpkin dessert acts almost like a crumble topping and forms a sweet crust on top. It is SO good and gives it this gorgeous golden brown color and great texture.
You can mix everything in one bowl which makes clean up easy, and if you’re lazy like me…you’ll bake it in a disposable 9×13 so you can just throw it all away after it’s gobbled up. 😉 Here’s this super easy pumpkin dessert recipe for you. I’d love to hear what you think after you make it!
- 30 oz pumpkin
- 16 oz evaporated milk
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter
Pre-heat oven to 350
Mix pumpkin, milk, ginger, cloves, sugar, eggs, cinnamon and one cup of cake mix in a large bowl. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle the rest of the cake mix on top of your cake (yes, the whole thing on top!) 😉
Melt butter and pour over the top of the cake.
Bake for 45 minutes
Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream. It's great warm or cold.
The melted butter and cake mix on the top of this delicious cake create a sweet streusel like topping that is divine!
Need more Thanksgiving recipes? Here are some other yummy favorites that will be part of our Thanksgiving menu:
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter and get access to our entire library of over 50 free printables. And, if you’re on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest come join me there too. I love to share tons of daily inspiration.
- The BEST Pumpkin Bread Recipe With Streusel Topping
- How to Make Delicious Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices
- Easy & Delicious Fall Salad Recipe
- Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe with Apples
- HelloFresh Meals : How it Works & Why We Love it
- How to Make a Charcuterie Board
- Mexican Food : Healthy and Delicious Mexican Fruit Salad Recipe
- DIY: How to Make Chocolate Dipped Oreos : A Lucky Treat for St. Patrick's Day
- Hearty and Delicious Cherry Apple Cobbler Oatmeal Recipe
- Recipe for Easy and Delicious Taco Salad with a Twist
- Delicious Frosted Banana Bars Recipe
- Halloween: My Favorite Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe with Whipped Cream Ghosts
- Sweets: Chocolate Ganache
- Sweets: Red Velvet Bliss
- How to Create a Cheese Plate : An Easy and Beautiful Appetizer
- Eat: Recipe: Warm Apple Cake with Spiced Butter Cream Sauce