I meant to get this chili recipe up in January…when it was winter. Here we are in spring and well…it’s still freezing and rainy and snowy, so we still need a hearty and delicious homemade chili recipe, right? 🙂 Seriously though, what is with this weather? Let’s see some sun already!! Every Halloween Ashley likes to have chili for dinner. It’s filling and warm and fun to top with all kinds of good stuff. The perfect meal to eat before you head out trick or treating to binge on sweets. It’s also great for any night you need an easy meal and is always a hit when you have a crowd to feed for a football game.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
What it is about “build your own” type of meals that we all love so much? This chili recipe is always a hit because not only is it delicious on it’s own, but it gets even yummier when you top it with things like sour cream, shredded cheese, onions, jalapenos, Fritos, avocado, tomatoes and more. It’s like a savory sundae!
Recipes like this hearty and delicious chili recipe with beans are super easy to put together and let simmer on the stove until you are ready to eat, and if you can believe it, they are even better the second day after the flavors have had more time to meld.
One of the secrets in this incredible chili recipe is the combination of Italian sausage and ground beef, along with all different kinds of beans. The depth of flavor is SO good!
This is when I wish we had scratch and sniff internet. This stuff is so good it’s making my mouth water just looking at these pictures! And because I ALWAYS get asked about these favorite bowls of mine, this is the smaller cereal version, and this is our most used, more shallow pasta type bowl. They are beautiful to look at….but also great for chili!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15oz) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 packet chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco) or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch of white sugar
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Brown ground beef and sausage. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat is evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
- Add beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, diced jalapeno, chili mix, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, cayenne, and pinch of sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper, and extra chili powder if needed. The longer the chili cooks, the better it will taste. Remove from the heat and serve, or reheat the next day for even better flavor.
- Top chili with chopped onions, Fritos, diced fresh tomatoes, sour cream, avocado and whatever else sounds yummy!
PIN this image so you can easily find this recipe again! 🙂
This is a filling, colorful and delicious meal perfect for a weeknight dinner or a game day party crowd. Looking for more great recipes ideas? You can find so many good ones here in our Recipe Gallery.
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter and get access to our entire library of over 65 free printables.
Check out some of our other most popular recipes…