Are you in charge of taking dessert to a Christmas party this year? Well, here’s an easy DIY cake topper that will make any cake, homemade or store bought, look festive and fun in minutes. These washi tape Christmas trees can be made with just a few supplies and you can make them in any pattern or colors that you want.
Affiliate links have been added for your convenience to make finding the supplies you need for this craft as easy as possible.
Scissors (my favorite pair)
Washi Tape (I used 7 different rolls/patterns that I picked up at Michaels for these trees)
Striped Straws that match your washi tape
I tried this a few different ways, and here is the easiest way to get it done…
- arrange your washi tape in order that you want the colors/patterns to appear so that you can grab them easily as you create
- working from the bottom of the tree up, tear off a 4-5 inch strip of tape and adhere to your straw or sucker stick about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the straw.
- tear another strip of the same tape off and place it on the opposite side straw, over the strip you already placed, sticky side covering sticky side, to create a double sided strip of tape over your straw.
4.continue this all the way up to the top of the straw with your alternating patterns.
5. Trim each side of the tape on the diagonal to create a tree shape.
add a “tree topper” of your choice. I punched a heart out of glitter paper for the top of my washi tape Chrismtas tree, I had it on hand so that made it even easier, but you can use anything you’d like.
You can experiment with different sizes of washi tape Christmas trees and create a few for your cake. I sprinkled shredded coconut around the base of the cake too for a snowy effect.
Have fun creating these Washi tape Christmas tree DIY cake toppers! Looking for more cute DIY ideas? Check out some of most popular posts here:
- My Guide to the Best Restaurants in Orange County
- Small Living Room Decorating Ideas
- Modern Master Bedroom Ideas : Our Summer Home Tour
- DIY Front Yard Landscaping Ideas on a Budget
- Awesome Boy Bedroom Ideas
- Kids Bathroom Design Ideas: Kid's Bathroom Makeover Reveal
- Cute Room Ideas for a Teenage Girl: Teen Bedroom Before and After
- Wall Art for Teenage Girl Bedrooms
- Modern Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Ideas : My Favorite Brass Hardware
- Beautiful Modern Coastal Design Ideas for Living Rooms
- Modern Coastal Decor Living Room Decorating Ideas
- The Best DIY Butter Slime Recipe Made With Clay (No Borax)
- Master Bathroom Remodel Ideas : Master Bathroom Before and After
- The Best Easter Basket Ideas for a teenage girl (and tweens)
- Tween Girl Bedroom Ideas : Preppy Teen Girl Bedroom in Pink, Navy and Green
- Mermaid Party Ideas : Mermaid Pool Party