Are you in charge of taking dessert to a Christmas party this year? Well, here’s an easy DIY cake topper that will make any cake, homemade or store bought, look festive and fun in minutes. These washi tape Christmas trees can be made with just a few supplies and you can make them in any pattern or colors that you want.
Affiliate links have been added for your convenience to make finding the supplies you need for this craft as easy as possible.
Scissors (my favorite pair)
Washi Tape (I used 7 different rolls/patterns that I picked up at Michaels for these trees)
Striped Straws that match your washi tape
I tried this a few different ways, and here is the easiest way to get it done…
- arrange your washi tape in order that you want the colors/patterns to appear so that you can grab them easily as you create
- working from the bottom of the tree up, tear off a 4-5 inch strip of tape and adhere to your straw or sucker stick about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the straw.
- tear another strip of the same tape off and place it on the opposite side straw, over the strip you already placed, sticky side covering sticky side, to create a double sided strip of tape over your straw.
4.continue this all the way up to the top of the straw with your alternating patterns.
5. Trim each side of the tape on the diagonal to create a tree shape.
add a “tree topper” of your choice. I punched a heart out of glitter paper for the top of my washi tape Chrismtas tree, I had it on hand so that made it even easier, but you can use anything you’d like.
You can experiment with different sizes of washi tape Christmas trees and create a few for your cake. I sprinkled shredded coconut around the base of the cake too for a snowy effect.
Have fun creating these Washi tape Christmas tree DIY cake toppers! Looking for more cute DIY ideas? Check out some of most popular posts here:
DIY Mummy Halloween Candy Bowl
DIY Hollywood Movie Night and Oscar Party Cake Topper
- Free Valentine Cards
- O Christmas Tree : Our Christmas Living Room Decor
- Our Halloween Home Decor
- Free Halloween Tag Printable "Hey Boo"
- Christmas Home Decorating Ideas - Home Tour
- 15 Beautiful Christmas Room Ideas : Our Christmas Bedroom Decor
- Cute and Cheerful Christmas Bedroom Decorating Ideas
- 20 Beautiful Christmas Kitchen Decorating Ideas
- Spooky Hospital Themed Party for Halloween
- School Party Ideas End of Year Breakfast Party (Back to School too!)
- 12 Bloggers of Christmas with Balsam Hill : Our Farmhouse Christmas Tree
- DIY Coasters : Perfect for Game Night and Gifts
- Cute and Easy Felt and Canvas Shamrock Pennant Banner
- How to Create a Cheese Plate : An Easy and Beautiful Appetizer
- Interior Design: The Power of Pillows
- Party Food Ideas: Disney Monster's Inc. Monster's University Pretzel Snacks
11 thoughts on “Washi Tape Christmas Tree Cute DIY Cake Topper”
OMGOSH!!!!! I LOVE this! What a cute and easy way to spruce up the dessert!!! Can’t wait for us to try this…and now have another use for my paper straws I never touch because they are so pretty. haha. #turnituptuesdays
lol! I totally understand having a paper straw stash that never gets touched! I just love to collect them and stare at them. 😉
What a cute and easy idea!
Thank you so much Roseann! 🙂
Congrats – you are one of our Featured Guests at this week’s Inspire Me Monday party at Crete With Joy – love your festive DIY project! 🙂
Create With Joy recently posted…Inspire Me Monday – Week 256
oh wow! Thank you SO much! What a fun surprise! 🙂
These are SO cute! What a simple decorating idea. Pinned.
Mother of 3 recently posted…My Absolute Favorite Holiday Movies
Thank you so much Joanne! 🙂 I need to catch up on your blog…we are homeschoolers over here! 🙂
Have a great day!