The “honey-do” list in our house can admittedly get a little long sometimes. Can anyone relate? I have gotten used to relying on John to help me do most projects these days. When he was working like a dog for the first 15 years of our marriage, I did everything solo, now that he’s got a teeny bit of free time, I have gotten a bit lazy in the DIY department and tend to wait until we can do it together…which sometimes means that list can take a while to get completed. 😉 The other day I had a picture to hang and I just couldn’t wait for him to get home. I needed to photograph the room and I was losing my light. Time to take matters into my own hands! I had somewhat of an epiphany in that moment how to hang a picture perfectly all by myself, and I think/hope that this will be a super helpful idea for you too! When you are looking to hang art in your home, hopefully this foolproof guide how to hang a picture perfectly all by yourself will help!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
I had this rectangular art piece to hang over this queen headboard in the guest bedroom. I needed it to be centered and level of course. Two things that are kind of hard to do by yourself…unless you use this helpful method! Necessity is the mother of invention, and I needed a solution to hanging this picture perfectly on my own. So, how did I do it? Try this and see what you think.
Supplies needed to Hang a Picture Perfectly
How to Hang a Picture Perfectly
1. Measure the space where you want to hang the picture, and mark the center. In this case, I wanted to hang my picture centered over the bed. I needed to know how long the bed was, and where the center of it was. The headboard is 61 inches, which meant the center was 30.5”. I measured 30.5 inches on the top of the headboard and marked that spot with a small piece of painters tape to identify it.
2. Measure your artwork and mark the center. This picture is 31” long. That meant that the center was 15.5”. Again, I measured out where the 15.5” mark was on the frame and marked it with a small piece of painters tape on the bottom of the frame…where it would be closest to the headboard.
3. Apply command strips to the back of your artwork. I use command strips almost exclusively to hang everything in my house. I cannot stand holes in the walls and I these are a lifesaver!! If you haven’t tried them yet, do it! I promise you won’t look back!
4. Remove the adhesive covers on the command strips. Hold the picture up close to where you are going to hang it, and set the level on the top of your frame. (If you need to, you can also tape the level to the top of your frame using a little painter’s tape.)
5. Now for the super easy part. Line up the piece of tape on the bottom of your frame with the piece of tape on the headboard. You have the exact centers of your frame and headboard lined up that way.
I wanted my art hung about 2 inches above the headboard, so I lined them up with a two inch gap between them.
6. Before you press the adhesive to the wall, make sure the level shows your art is level. If the level shows it’s level, and the tape is lined up, you will have a perfectly placed piece of art. Adhere it to the wall by pushing the adhesive against the wall making sure the command strips stick and you’re all set!
You can use this trick with any piece of art, anywhere. Just figure out the point where you want to hang your art and mark it, along with the center point of your art and wa-la! You could also mark the height of the art this way too. The painter’s tape is easy to remove when you’re done and it doesn’t leave any marks. How awesome is that?! I can’t believe it took me this long to figure out this method how to hang a picture perfectly! Maybe this has been thought of before, but I wish someone had told me if it had…so consider this my DIY gift to you! lol! 😉
If you have questions about how to hang art the right way to get the right look…like spacing, proper height on a wall etc., be sure to check out this post. I hope that between these two posts, you can learn everything you need to know about how to hang a picture perfectly.
Looking for more how-to’s and design inspiration? Be sure to check out our design gallery here for lots of great tips and ideas.
Thanks for visiting the blog! Come and join me on social to follow along with all of my Design, Travel, DIY, Shopping Deals and other posts. You can find me here:
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter and get access to our entire library of over 50 free printables.
Have a great day!