Fairy tales are real! Those pesky little trolls we read about as kids…well one of them is alive and well in Seattle living under the Aurora Bridge. The Fremont Troll is sure to delight your kids when you visit the Fremont District in Seattle. When we were planning our trip for the family and looking for interesting things to see and do, my neighbor told me about this quirky and interesting stop so you know it went on our list! Since we were staying right in the heart of the city at The Westin on our visit, and Seattle is SO walkable, we didn’t need a car for the the majority of our stay. Fortunately, there was an Avis car rental location right across the street from the hotel, allowing us to rent a car for a day to go explore sites that were a bit further away, and the Fremont Troll was on that list!
The Troll under the bridge idea was derived from the fairy tale “Three Billy Goats Gruff” and was developed in 1990 by local artists as a way to clean up and revive an area in the Fremont district that had become a hang-out for drug dealers. Today the Fremont District is an artsy neighborhood on the north shore. The Troll is HUGE!! Eighteen feet tall and weighing in at around 13,000 pounds, this massive concrete sculpture takes up the entire area under the bridge.
You really get a feel for just how big he is when you see the Volkswagen Beetle that he holds in his hand. Let the kids climb on him, take pictures and enjoy this little bit of fairy tale coming to life while in Seattle.
If you have a car and a few minutes when you are visiting Seattle, don’t miss a chance to see the Seattle Fremont Troll!
- The Best Place to Stay on Oahu : Halekulani Hotel
- Visit London at Christmas : Things to See & Do
- Staying at The Apartments at 11 Cadogan Gardens in Chelsea, London
- Arizona Biltmore Luxury Resort in Phoenix Weekend Getaway
- Traveling to Dijon France : Dijon Hotels, Mustard & More
- Inn at Entrada : Places to Stay Near Zion National Park
- JW Marriott NYC and Other Amazing Luxury Hotels in Midtown NYC
- Isola delle Rose Venezia : JW Marriott Venice Italy : Best Family Hotels Venice
- Family Friendly Resorts in San Diego : Omni La Costa Golf Resort & Spa
- 4 Best Brunch Spots at the Beach : Orange County
- Where to Stay in Paris : Guest Apartment Services and the Ile Saint-Louis
- One Fine Stay : What it’s like to rent a vacation apartment in London