Fairy tales are real! Those pesky little trolls we read about as kids…well one of them is alive and well in Seattle living under the Aurora Bridge. The Fremont Troll is sure to delight your kids when you visit the Fremont District in Seattle. When we were planning our trip for the family and looking for interesting things to see and do, my neighbor told me about this quirky and interesting stop so you know it went on our list! Since we were staying right in the heart of the city at The Westin on our visit, and Seattle is SO walkable, we didn’t need a car for the the majority of our stay. Fortunately, there was an Avis car rental location right across the street from the hotel, allowing us to rent a car for a day to go explore sites that were a bit further away, and the Fremont Troll was on that list!
The Troll under the bridge idea was derived from the fairy tale “Three Billy Goats Gruff” and was developed in 1990 by local artists as a way to clean up and revive an area in the Fremont district that had become a hang-out for drug dealers. Today the Fremont District is an artsy neighborhood on the north shore. The Troll is HUGE!! Eighteen feet tall and weighing in at around 13,000 pounds, this massive concrete sculpture takes up the entire area under the bridge.
You really get a feel for just how big he is when you see the Volkswagen Beetle that he holds in his hand. Let the kids climb on him, take pictures and enjoy this little bit of fairy tale coming to life while in Seattle.
If you have a car and a few minutes when you are visiting Seattle, don’t miss a chance to see the Seattle Fremont Troll!
- The Complete London Travel Guide : All My Favorite London Travel Tips, Hotels, Restaurants & More
- The Seabird Resort | Beachfront Hotel in Oceanside, CA
- Travel Guide: The Silos from Fixer Upper and Magnolia Market
- The Ultimate Guide to Dallas Texas : Where to Stay, Eat & Things to Do
- 1 Hotel West Hollywood Review : A Weekend Getaway
- Organizing Tips for Traveling with Kids
- Inn at Entrada : Places to Stay Near Zion National Park
- Hotels in London with Family Rooms : The Kensington Hotel London
- How to Get to Zermatt : Our Matterhorn Adventure
- New York City at Christmas : Things to Do
- The Sound of Music : Which Tour is the best in Salzburg? An Inside look at the Panorama Sound of Music Tours
- Amsterdam : Tour a Traditional Canal House : Our Stay on the Keizersgracht Canal
- Things to Do in London: Afternoon Tea at the Orangery at Kensington Palace
- Take a Spin on the London Eye: Things to do in London
- Things to See in London : One Day Walking Tour
- One Fine Stay : What it's like to rent a vacation apartment in London