This cake is ALWAYS a hit…one of my favorite basic chocolate cake recipes, with chocolate buttercream, but it’s the toppings that make people go crazy! Something about seeing it topped with nuts, chocolate chips and marshmallows, makes this cake extra special. It’s SUPER rich, so I only frost the top and middle to help reduce the chocolate coma. 😉
- Recipe makes 2 layer 9 inch cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- (I usually double this recipe)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2⅔ cups confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Chips (semi sweet or milk chocolate)
- Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Use the first set of ingredients to make the cake. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer. Stir in the boiling water by hand. Pour evenly into the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
- Once cake has cooled completely
- In medium bowl, beat butter. Add confectioners' sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Stir in vanilla.
- Spread frosting on first layer and top with chopped nuts, marshmallows and chocolate chips. Place second cake payer on top and repeat.
Volunteer to bring dessert to your next BBQ and you’ll be the favorite guest. 😉