With summer upon us I thought this is the perfect time to share my family’s FAVORITE Cinco de Mayo dessert that will be the perfect compliment to your tacos and guacamole. 😉 Have you ever wondered how to make a tres leches cake? Well, you’re in luck, because this is a super easy Tres Leches cake recipe!
We actually love this as a spring/summer dessert every year…it’s not just a Cinco de Mayo dessert! Once you taste it you will realize why we don’t like to limit ourselves to eating it just once a year. Andy likes it for his birthday in April and it makes a great refreshing summer party dessert too.
This Tres Leches cake recipe takes just about an hour to make and will have all of your guests begging you for the recipe. This can be a REALLY calorie laden cake, so I have lightened it up a bit without sacrificing flavor. That means you can eat a bigger piece. You’re welcome. 😉
Here’s what you will need for this amazing Cinco de Mayo dessert: (affiliate links are included in this post)
For the Tres Leches Cake:
For the Milk Topping
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
For the Cream Topping:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Cream butter or margarine and the 1 cup sugar together with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and the 1 teaspoon of vanilla, mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- After the cake comes out of the oven pierce the top of the cake ALL over with a fork. You want the milk to have lots of places to go when you cover the cake with it. Let the cake cook completely.
- Combine the 2% milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1/2 cup of white sugar together. Pour over the top of the cooled cake.
- Whip whipping cream, the remaining 1 cup of the sugar, and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla together until thick. Spread over the top of cake. Refrigerate until really cold. Serve cake icy cold like a nice glass of milk.
- I like to top the cake with strawberries too, to help cut through the sugar!
Here’s a printable version for you:
The Best Tres Leches Recipe
This tres leches cake recipe is so yummy, I want to make one now just writing this post! 😉 Looking for more great Mexican recipes and Cinco de Mayo dessert ideas? Check out some of our most popular recipe posts for this festive time of year:
Chili Lime Chicken Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa and Avocado Crema
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter and get access to our entire library of over 50 free printables. And, if you’re on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest come join me there too. I love to share tons of daily inspiration.
- Hearty & Delicious Homemade Chili Recipe
- Easy Apple Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel Topping Recipe
- The BEST Pumpkin Bread Recipe With Streusel Topping
- How to Make Delicious Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices
- Best Green Chile Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- How to Make a Charcuterie Board
- Easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes : Delicious Gluten Free Stuffing Recipe
- Easy kid friendly Halloween treats : Ghost Cupcakes
- 16 Amazing Fall Apple Recipes : Cinnamon Spiced Apple Strudel Sundae
- Irresistible Dip Recipe : Cheesy Chili Salsa Dip
- Delicious Hard boiled Egg Recipes : How to Use up Those Leftover Easter Eggs
- How to Make Yummy Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Hearty and Delicious Cherry Apple Cobbler Oatmeal Recipe
- How to Create a Cheese Plate : An Easy and Beautiful Appetizer
- Recipe: Sugar Crusted Carmelized French Toast
- Party Food Ideas: Disney Monster's Inc. Monster's University Pretzel Snacks