Nothing says Christmas to me like a great soft and chewy ginger molasses cookie. Lofthouse makes some amazing ones that I love to pick up at the grocery store, but for years I have been looking for a great homemade ginger molasses cookie recipe that mimicked those same great molasses and ginger flavors along with the chewiness that I love so much. Well, if you love all that holiday goodness, then look no further…after playing around a bit, I think this might just be the perfect recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
These delicious cookies are super chewy and oh-so perfectly spiced. If you’re lucky enough to have them last longer than a few hours, you’ll see that they stay chewy and soft for days. I actually like them best the day after I bake them because I think the flavors develop even more. But, you’ll probably have to hide a few in order to actually get to try them the next day. 😉
What you need to make Delicious Soft and Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- ground ginger
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- dark molasses
- pure vanilla extract
- White Sparkling Sugar Sprinkles (these are the ones I like to use)
Here are the tools I use every time I bake that I cannot live without:
Cookie Scoop (I use a large one for these cookies, but have every size for different cookies)
Cookie Sheets (these gold ones are SO pretty!)
Silpat (cannot live without these!!!)
Mixer (I have the professional version the 6qt bowl is awesome!!)
Ready to bake these amazing soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies?! Here’s the easy recipe:
Soft & Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Molasses
- Large Sparkling Sugar Sprinkles for Rolling
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, stir together your dry ingredients: flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl cream shortening and sugars with an electric mixer to soften. Beat in eggs and molasses. Mix in the flour mixture gradually.
- Scoop dough into 2" balls using a cookie scoop. Roll cookie balls in the sparkling sugar to coat. Place 2-3 inches apart on a silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes or until cookies are light brown and puffy. (Make sure not to over bake them or they won't be chewy!) Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool after a minute or two out of the oven.
- You can store these cookies in an air tight container for a few days at room temperature, or freeze them for longer storage.
I hope you love these soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies as much as we do! I can’t wait to hear what you think after you make them! 🙂
Looking for more delicious recipes? You can find even more in our recipe library.
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter and get access to our entire library of over 50 free printables. I have so many printables that make gifting cute homemade gifts like these delicious cookies super easy!
Thanks for visiting the blog! Come and join me on social to follow along with all of my Design, Travel, DIY, Shopping Deals and other posts. You can find me here:
Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | Like to Know It
- How to Make Delicious Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices
- Easy Nutter Butter Acorn Cookies
- Thanksgiving Recipes : Our Favorite Pumpkin Thanksgiving Dessert
- 16 Amazing Fall Apple Recipes : Cinnamon Spiced Apple Strudel Sundae
- Beach Theme Cookies : DIY Clam Cookies
- How to Make Yummy Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches
- DIY: How to Make Chocolate Dipped Oreos : A Lucky Treat for St. Patrick's Day
- Perfect Cinnamon Roll Recipe : Quick Bread Cinnamon Rolls
- Delicious Frosted Banana Bars Recipe
- Sweets: Chocolate Ganache
- Sweets: Red Velvet Bliss
- Recipe: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting and Toffee
- Eat: Recipe: Warm Apple Cake with Spiced Butter Cream Sauce