A few months ago I took a class at Peinture Studios here in Orange County. I had been reading about and seeing chalk paint ALL over the place and I wanted to see what it was all about. There were a couple of pieces in my house that I thought would be fun to change up a bit, but I thought that before I actually did anything big, it would be worth the time to take a class and learn how to paint furniture with chalk paint before I tackled those bigger pieces.
Andy’s dresser was one of those pieces. I got it from a neighbor several years ago. It was in pretty bad shape and they were going to give it away, so I asked if I could have it. I loved the bones. After taking the class I bought the supplies and decided to give it a go.
No stripping old paint and sanding?! SOLD! 🙂 The best part was that I didn’t even have to move it out of his room to paint it. The process is mess free and the paint doesn’t smell.
It took me about 5 hours to complete it. The paint dries VERY quickly and I was able to do two coats of paint and the wax in that time.
The finished product…
The verdict? Now that the paint has cured and Andy’s been using it, my feeling is that chalk paint is definitely best when used on a piece of furniture that doesn’t see much use. Obviously it still looks much better than it did before, but the paint does scratch and you can see marks all over it. They probably wouldn’t be noticeable to most people, but they drive me a bit crazy because it is not a hard furniture finish, so I’m ALWAYS thinking about it and treating it differently than other pieces of furniture.
For ease of use it definitely gets an A+. It covers beautifully and is super thick.
With such a wide range of colors available, it’s a great way to add a little personality o a space with a pop of color on an accent table.
I hope you’re feeling inspired to create!
- My Guide to the Best Restaurants in Orange County
- Small Living Room Decorating Ideas
- Modern Master Bedroom Ideas : Our Summer Home Tour
- DIY Front Yard Landscaping Ideas on a Budget
- Awesome Boy Bedroom Ideas
- Kids Bathroom Design Ideas: Kid's Bathroom Makeover Reveal
- Cute Room Ideas for a Teenage Girl: Teen Bedroom Before and After
- Wall Art for Teenage Girl Bedrooms
- Modern Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Ideas : My Favorite Brass Hardware
- Beautiful Modern Coastal Design Ideas for Living Rooms
- Modern Coastal Decor Living Room Decorating Ideas
- The Best DIY Butter Slime Recipe Made With Clay (No Borax)
- Master Bathroom Remodel Ideas : Master Bathroom Before and After
- The Best Easter Basket Ideas for a teenage girl (and tweens)
- Tween Girl Bedroom Ideas : Preppy Teen Girl Bedroom in Pink, Navy and Green
- Mermaid Party Ideas : Mermaid Pool Party