A few months ago I took a class at Peinture Studios here in Orange County. I had been reading about and seeing chalk paint ALL over the place and I wanted to see what it was all about. There were a couple of pieces in my house that I thought would be fun to change up a bit, but I thought that before I actually did anything big, it would be worth the time to take a class and learn how to paint furniture with chalk paint before I tackled those bigger pieces.
Andy’s dresser was one of those pieces. I got it from a neighbor several years ago. It was in pretty bad shape and they were going to give it away, so I asked if I could have it. I loved the bones. After taking the class I bought the supplies and decided to give it a go.
No stripping old paint and sanding?! SOLD! 🙂 The best part was that I didn’t even have to move it out of his room to paint it. The process is mess free and the paint doesn’t smell.
It took me about 5 hours to complete it. The paint dries VERY quickly and I was able to do two coats of paint and the wax in that time.
The finished product…
The verdict? Now that the paint has cured and Andy’s been using it, my feeling is that chalk paint is definitely best when used on a piece of furniture that doesn’t see much use. Obviously it still looks much better than it did before, but the paint does scratch and you can see marks all over it. They probably wouldn’t be noticeable to most people, but they drive me a bit crazy because it is not a hard furniture finish, so I’m ALWAYS thinking about it and treating it differently than other pieces of furniture.
For ease of use it definitely gets an A+. It covers beautifully and is super thick.
With such a wide range of colors available, it’s a great way to add a little personality o a space with a pop of color on an accent table.
I hope you’re feeling inspired to create!
- Favorite Walmart Home Decor Finds for Fall
- Fall Home Decor Ideas & Blogger Home Tour
- Ultimate Dorm Storage Solutions
- Decorate Your Dorm With Walmart
- 27 Great Side Tables for Under $200
- Fall Decor : 30 Beautiful Fall Room Decor Tours
- Wall Art for Teenage Girl Bedrooms
- Spring Home Decor - 30 Beautiful Ideas
- Easy DIY Spider Wreath for Halloween
- Cute Bugs and Kisses Printable for Halloween
- The Moody Blues... a Blue Mantel Re-do with Chinese Urns
- Happy New Year!! New Year's Party Ideas and Free New Year's Printables
- German Glass Glitter DIY Monogram Ornaments
- DIY: How to Make Paper Rosettes
- DIY: Super Cute and Easy 2 Step Gold Polka Dot Party Drink Bottles
- The Ultimate Beach Party: Disney Teen Beach Movie Party