With Thanksgiving on the horizon I don’t feel like cooking much. I know that I have an entire week of cooking ahead of me, so I need quick and easy recipes to save me this week. 🙂 Luckily, this recipe fits the bill. I love that I can just throw it all in a pot and let it simmer while I get a few other things done. And, when I have ingredients that look this pretty, it makes me feel better about what’s filling my little one’s bellies. Here’s what you’ll need…
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5½ cups beef broth
- ½ cup red wine (or grape juice)
- 4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped (or canned petite diced tomatoes)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups sliced zucchini
- 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
- A handful of fresh Spinach
- Brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini and spinach during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.
Loving these new pumpkin soup bowls and cute plates from HomeGoods too!
Enjoy your soup! 🙂