It’s that time of year when we are all looking for red and pink decor and fun heart shaped decorations to make. This wood button heart craft is my three favorite things: fun, easy and cute. In only a matter of minutes and with just a few supplies, many of which you probably already have on hand, it can be decorating your mantel tomorrow, just in time for Valentine’s Day. This is the perfect craft to get the kids involved in. You really can’t mess this easy Valentine’s Day decoration up. Affiliate links are included in this post.
When I was trying to come up with fun heart shaped decorations to make I went to my craft bin to see what I had on hand. I’m trying to be way better about using up my huge stash, and sometimes I forget to shop their first. I had this pre-cut wood heart shape, some paint and a bag of red and pink buttons…and this cute Valentine’s Day craft was born!
Supplies Needed to Make Heart Shaped Decorations
A wood heart (any size you like, these are just like the one I used)
Acrylic Paint in Red or Pink (just paint the heart the color you want the background of the heart to be)
How to Make These Heart Shaped Decorations
Step 1: Paint the heart (it will need to dry for about 30 minutes if you are using acrylic paint)
Step 2: Spread glue to cover half of the heart (only work on one half at a time so you have time to add the buttons before the glue dries.)
Step 3: Cover the glue on your heart with buttons. You don’t need to worry about a pattern, just put them as close together as you can and fill in every spot. We started by outlining the outer edge of each half and then worked our way in to make sure the edge looked clean and neat when it was all finished.
Step 4: Repeat this same process with the other half of the heart.
Step 5: Let it dry overnight
You can see how quickly the glue begins to dry. It was practically clear by the time I was able to snap a picture.
After the heart has dried, display it in your favorite Valentine’s Day spot. You can even leave it up all year if you like!
Here are two of my favorite free printable Valentines posts if you are looking for more fun Valentine inspiration…
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox each week. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
- Feliz Navidad : Neighbor Christmas Gift Ideas
- Our Christmas Family Room Decor
- The Best Dutch Apple Pie Recipe & 8 More Amazing Thanksgiving Recipes
- Free Halloween Tag: Happy Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Printable
- Everything You Need to Know About How to Hang Art the Right Way
- DIY Disney Costumes : Easy Mary Poppins Costume
- DIY Halloween Decor : The Entry Way – Indoor Halloween Decorating Ideas
- Thanksgiving Feast Ideas for a Classroom Party
- Spooktacular Halloween Food Ideas for Kids
- Spooky Hospital Themed Party for Halloween
- DIY Glitter Star Cupcake Toppers with Toothpicks
- Nighttime Outdoor Party Ideas : Host an Outdoor Movie Night Party