I have to say that this is one of my family’s absolute favorites. It’s definitely not on the diet, but for a once in awhile treat it’s ok. 🙂 I discovered it last Christmas. We were having a crowd over for Christmas morning for presents and breakfast AND we needed to be a church at 11am. I really wanted to have our usual special Christmas breakfast, but I knew we were going to be rushed and that I wouldn’t have my usual few hours to cook. I searched the internet and ran across this recipe. My favorite part is that not only is is easy, but I can make a good portion of it the night before. A baked french toast is so much easier than making french toast piece by piece! It’s definitely a keeper!! I hope you and your family will enjoy it too! 🙂
You will need the following:
1 loaf of crusty bread cut into 1-inch slices
for the custard:
3 large eggs
1/2 C milk
1/3 C Heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
for the sugar coating:
1 C butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
4 TBS light corn syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
the night before:
butter a 9×13 dish and place the bread slices standing up in the pan. Prepare the custard by whisking together the eggs, milk, cream cinnamon and vanilla until well combined. Pour the mixture over the sliced bread making sure to coat all the slices evenly. Cover the pan with cling wrap and stick in the fridge.
the morning of:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
In a large pyrex measuring cup, melt the butter in the microwave until just melted. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup, whisk well to combine. Microwave on high again in 30 second spurts until the mixture is bubbly and hot. Add the vanilla extract.
Pour the sugar mixture over the french toast in the pan, coating each slice well. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes until puffy and golden brown.
Serve warm with berries, whipped cream and a little powdered sugar and let your little munchkins who have been anxiously turning on the oven light every 30 seconds and asking you “how much longer until it’s ready??” dig in!
Are you hungry yet?? With Christmas looming on the horizon, I thought you might like this for your “super yummy, quick and easy and will totally please a crowd” recipe file. 😉 Enjoy!
Check out more of our delicious breakfast recipes here.
Hope you have a great day!
- How to Make Delicious Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices
- Easy & Delicious Fall Salad Recipe
- Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe with Apples
- Spooky Halloween Food Ideas : Tomato Soup with Mozzarella Eyes
- HelloFresh Meals : How it Works & Why We Love it
- Best Green Chile Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Mexican Food : Healthy and Delicious Mexican Fruit Salad Recipe
- Delicious Hard boiled Egg Recipes : How to Use up Those Leftover Easter Eggs
- How to Make Yummy Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches
- DIY: How to Make Chocolate Dipped Oreos : A Lucky Treat for St. Patrick's Day
- Make these Easy Red Valentine Heart Pancakes
- Halloween: My Favorite Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe with Whipped Cream Ghosts
- Sweets: Chocolate Ganache
- Sweets: Red Velvet Bliss
- How to Create a Cheese Plate : An Easy and Beautiful Appetizer
- Eat: Recipe: Warm Apple Cake with Spiced Butter Cream Sauce