Ever since nearing completion on the 1987 Fixer Upper, my thoughts have of course turned to the fun part…decorating! It is fairly daunting to decorate your own home…I totally understand that! It can definitely be costly, and if you are anything like me, you are much more indecisive when selecting something for yourself, than you are when you are purchasing things for others. I’m like that with everything! I have known since we moved that the UT house was going to be modern coastal decor. No matter that it’s in the mountains! I need some CA Beach in my home away from home! 😉 I am finally getting around to decorating the living room and I wanted to share these modern coastal decor living room decorating ideas with you to show you the direction we’re heading and hopefully inspire any of you that are looking for modern coastal decor living room decorating ideas too!
We have a true blank slate to work with here. I painted the walls Repose Gray by Sherwin Williams, but with the pigment reduced to 25%. I wanted a little bit of contrast between the walls and the trim, but also wanted things to be a very light and bright palette to work with. The rug shown here is not staying, I have another rug from HomeGoods that is taking it’s place with a more muted design, and a few of the furniture pieces have started to arrive.
This house is quite large, but none of the rooms are very wide. They are long and narrow..which complicates things just a bit. This room needed a focal point, which meant adding a fireplace, but doing so means an even narrower space to decorate…so the couch is the smaller love seat size. We’re using our same rattan chairs from the OC house for the time being. I have my eye on some others, but those will probably have to wait. I found this mirror here, and you can see the rug is marked where this coffee table will go.
Here are the pieces I have picked out for the room…
via Heidi Caillier Design
via Studio McGee
via Cove Interiors
What do you think? We don’t spend much time in this room, but it is the first room you see when you open the front door, so it sets the tone for the rest of the house. I want it to be light and airy, welcoming, and nice, but not too formal. I think this design will achieve those objectives. 🙂
I’ll be sure to update you more throughout the process to let you know how it’s coming! 🙂
Want to see the other rooms in the 1987 Fixer Upper? You can follow along with the transformation of this home here.
Also, be sure to check out our design gallery for all kinds of design ideas.
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter. 🙂 And, if you’re on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest come join me there too. I love to share tons of daily inspiration.
Have a great day!
- My Guide to the Best Restaurants in Orange County
- Small Living Room Decorating Ideas
- Modern Master Bedroom Ideas : Our Summer Home Tour
- DIY Front Yard Landscaping Ideas on a Budget
- Awesome Boy Bedroom Ideas
- Kids Bathroom Design Ideas: Kid's Bathroom Makeover Reveal
- Cute Room Ideas for a Teenage Girl: Teen Bedroom Before and After
- Wall Art for Teenage Girl Bedrooms
- Modern Kitchen Cabinet Hardware Ideas : My Favorite Brass Hardware
- Beautiful Modern Coastal Design Ideas for Living Rooms
- Modern Coastal Decor Living Room Decorating Ideas
- The Best DIY Butter Slime Recipe Made With Clay (No Borax)
- Master Bathroom Remodel Ideas : Master Bathroom Before and After
- The Best Easter Basket Ideas for a teenage girl (and tweens)
- Tween Girl Bedroom Ideas : Preppy Teen Girl Bedroom in Pink, Navy and Green
- Mermaid Party Ideas : Mermaid Pool Party