Alright, I know it’s the beginning of January and we’re supposed to be on some sort of health kick right? Isn’t that how New Year’s works? 😉 Well, we’re still on lock down so I think this January is a little bit different. I need some comfort food so the baking continues. At least this banana bread has fruit in it…that makes it healthy, right? This is the simplest, best banana bread recipe ever. In just a few minutes you can have this deliciousness baking in the oven, making the whole house smell like you are a master baker.
Banana bread is my go-to when I see a bunch of bananas going bad on the counter. You know, when they start to get to that super brown, overripe stage? Well don’t throw them out! Make this amazing banana bread.
Here’s a BANANA BREAD TIP: Did you know you can freeze overripe bananas to make bread with later? If they are going bad and you don’t have enough time to make bread right then, or enough bananas for your recipe, simply toss the bananas in a ziploc bag and put the in the freezer. When you are ready to use them just let them thaw on the counter. They will be SUPER mushy….but that is just fine for this bread.
This is a VERY simple, very rich and dense banana bread. The secret to getting it work well is not to over mix the ingredients. You want to cream the butter, sugars and vanilla, but not as much as you would with a cookie or cake recipe. Then add the eggs and mashed banana and mix until incorporated and then you want to just mix everything else until it is combined…so it’s a bit different than making a cake.
Just like with lots of baked goods, I feel like this bread tastes even better the second day. After the flavor has a chance to meld, it is even better…but good luck resisting eating it that long. In our house, we’re lucky to even let it cool down long enough so that it doesn’t burn our tongues, lol!
I have never added chocolate chips to my bread…because kind of like with nuts, I don’t love chocolate chips in my pancakes, bread or muffins. I know weird. I LOVE chocolate…but for some reason not in those things. I can’t explain it. If you love chocolate chip banana bread, I think that you could add a 1/2 cup or so with no problem.
Do you like nuts in your banana bread? I love nuts in cookies and salads etc., but for some reason I don’t love them in my breads and muffins. What is your preference? With this recipe you can totally add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the mix if you love them, or leave them out. Either way this will still be the best banana bread recipe ever! Experiment and see what you think! 🙂
I got this recipe from a friend years ago, and have made a couple of tweaks to it over the years myself (the cinnamon, vanilla and mixing brown and white sugar were a couple of changes from the initial recipe)so feel free to experiment with it and have some fun! Sour cream or buttermilk might be a delicious addition too!
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-light virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Whisk together the maple syrup, mustard and cider vinegar in a large bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until the vinaigrette thickens.
Want to try something else delicious with this banana bread? Try buttering it up and toasting/grilling it on a frying pan…or prep it like you would french toast. Oh man!! SO good!
I hope that you try this and think it’s the best banana bread recipe ever too when you get to sink your teeth into it!
Want more delicious recipes? Check out my entire RECIPE COLLECTION HERE.
Have you signed up for our newsletter? Don’t miss out on getting all of the latest from Pink Peppermint Design delivered right to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter and get access to our entire library of over 50 free printables. And, if you’re on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest come join me there too. I love to share tons of daily inspiration.
- How to Make Delicious Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices
- Easy & Delicious Fall Salad Recipe
- Best Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe with Apples
- Spooky Halloween Food Ideas : Tomato Soup with Mozzarella Eyes
- Easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes : Delicious Gluten Free Stuffing Recipe
- Easy kid friendly Halloween treats : Ghost Cupcakes
- Mexican Food : Healthy and Delicious Mexican Fruit Salad Recipe
- Delicious Hard boiled Egg Recipes : How to Use up Those Leftover Easter Eggs
- How to Make Yummy Thin Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Make these Easy Red Valentine Heart Pancakes
- Hearty and Delicious Cherry Apple Cobbler Oatmeal Recipe
- Sweets: Chocolate Ganache
- Sweets: Red Velvet Bliss
- How to Create a Cheese Plate : An Easy and Beautiful Appetizer
- Eat: Recipe: Warm Apple Cake with Spiced Butter Cream Sauce
- Party Food Ideas: Disney Monster's Inc. Monster's University Pretzel Snacks