I was at Target a couple of weeks ago and found this super cute tote bag. I am always looking for cute bags to tote around all of my things, especially during summertime when we are back and forth from the pool and the beach. There are tons of cute tote bags at the store, but it’s even more fun, and not very hard, to dress one up and customize it a bit. For this DIY you’ll need a cute tote bag, an embroidery needle and some pretty, coordinating colors of embroidery floss (this one is a good basic starter pack) Here is the bag I purchased.
You can do this to any bag, but it was extra easy to add a little color to this straw bag because the weave is so loose on the straw you can get the thread and needle through it super easily. There is no need to follow a pattern, or do anything specific, just sew where your little heart desires and add color to your tote. Tie your thread in a knot inside the bag and start sewing.
I just wanted to add a little pop of pink to the top of the bag, so I sewed along the top…
I used this tutorial to create a couple of handmade tassels using the embroidery floss, and tied them onto the leather straps…
Isn’t that cute? If you don’t feel like “DIY”ing your own bag, there are tons of cute and colorful tote bags out right now. Here are some of my favorites:
This one is SO cute and already comes embroidered and with tassels. If you are looking for something a little sturdier that will last for several seasons and go with everything, this faux leather tote is super cute and priced right at only $56.
I love projects like this tote bag because DIY doesn’t mean you have to make everything from scratch, it’s great to just take a few minutes and customize something a bit to make it more “you.”
You can find me on Facebook , Instagram and Pinterest here if you’d like to see more daily entertaining, design, DIY and travel inspiration.
If you’re looking for more fun and easy DIY ideas, you can find all of our most popular ones in our DIY gallery.
Don’t forget to sign up for the PPD newsletter in the sidebar so you don’t miss any fun ideas!
Have a great day!
*affiliate links used*
- Free Valentine Cards
- O Christmas Tree : Our Christmas Living Room Decor
- Our Halloween Home Decor
- Free Halloween Tag Printable "Hey Boo"
- How to Make a Pretty Flower Arrangement with Grocery Store Flowers
- How To Keep Photos Organized On Your Computer
- Easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes : Delicious Gluten Free Stuffing Recipe
- Disney Gifts for Mom : Awesome Gifts for Disney Lovers
- Funny Printable Valentine's Day Cards for Kids
- 27 Gorgeous Christmas Decorating Ideas
- DIY Valentines : Eye Like You Valentine
- DIY Cupcake Toppers and Feather Party Food Picks
- DIY: How to Make a Felt Circle Garland
- DIY Washi Tape Feathers a Cute Fall Craft
- DIY: St. Patrick's Day Candy Pops
- Free Printable Valentine: What Does the Fox Say?